Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

As Usual, Far From Ready

I am not fully packed yet for my surgical and transitional stays. I am bringing one smaller bag to the hospital, with just a few things in it plus my iPad. Then I am leaving one packed bag for Transitional Care in my car, so friend Maryann can come drive me there and we'll take the fresh suitcase. If I get it together I will fix yet a third bag, which Maryann can trade for my dirty laundry down the line...we'll see!

The hospital now requires a "ticket" when I arrive. This is an 8-1/2X11 colored sheet of paper with a large checklist on it. I am supposed to check that I have had nothing to eat or drink after midnight tonight, that I brushed my teeth in the morning, that I have had all of my pre-op appointments, and so on. Cute. Not really. But I can see why they do it. I have often wondered how many people fail to follow all of the directions before surgery and before pre-op appointments. It isn't as if anyone is calling to remind us.

In another way I am more than ready. I have had a lot of pain in my right leg for a long time. I really hope this new knee goes a LONG way to taking that away, that I do not have to wait for a new hip.  I won't know, really, until I am off pain meds, though, more than likely.

No comments: