Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Post - Delayed

Thanksgiving was simply too busy a day for arthritic me. I was too tired to tackle the day's challenge and will do that now.

Thursday's challenge:


My Mascot! Give your condition, community, or self a mascot. Who is it? What do they represent? What is their battle cry?
Yikes! I am drawing a blank on this one! I could choose a dog or cat, both of whom do get arthritis too. But perhaps a creature that represents coping, aging, non-glamorous acceptance. No flashy character, but one that everyone knows, that stays in the background for the most part. For my money, a mockingbird.

When I first came to California from Michigan and heard these birds singing in the middle of the night (which they do in mating season), I was astounded. I had never heard such a thing. It was wondrous, other-worldly, and I quickly had to find out what it was. It was the ubiquitous mockingbird, singing its little heart out at least as lustily as it does during the day. So many people ignore this bird and even curse it when it wakens them from a sound sleep. Yet for me its song energizes and makes me feel that much more alive. So why not? Why not have this symbol of strength and song carry us along?

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments: