Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Book! A Book!

Today's challenge:


Open a book. Point to a page. Free write for 10-15 minutes on that word or passage. Post without editing if you can!
This one is SO up my alley! I have hundreds of books, even though I am always "releasing them". Others creep in to take the place of the ones that have left. The question for today is - which book? The book I am reading? Which is A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey, aka A Million Little Lies? No, I think I'll leave that for now.

Just to make it more interesting I am also watching Psych on television at the same time.

The book is Tangled Webs, by James B. Stewart. Page 114, first new section. The sentence:

 Doug Faneuil was working at the art gallery when one of his lawyers called with the news.
I have no idea who this Doug guy is but the Psych episode I am watching is no. 1 from season 4, and it is about an art thief. Interesting coincidence. The news Doug received was that his favorite artist had been robbed,and not for the first time. Shirley Prattle was famous for her collages. The bigger the better, so the collages were visible all over the state, especially in public buildings.  So one being stolen was big news indeed.

Shirley was not just Doug's favorite artist. She was a good friend. Doug felt he felt he felt he - oh boy, I am starting to write like James Frey - Doug felt like he had been stabbed, it hurt so much. Doug was dusting the paintings in the gallery when he heard the news, and the brush slipped out of his hand and landed on the floor. He started to step down the ladder and slipped and fell onto the brush, which caused a bruise on his side. He yelled.

Shirley had called Doug first, and when she heard the crash over the phone she hung up and finally called the police about the stolen collage. They were tired of hearing about her losses, because this was the third one. How could anyone load such huge pieces of art onto a truck and not be seen? Needless to say, they were suspicious.

I guess this is why I don't write much fiction...


This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J


No comments: