Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011


For today: Write about something that gets you down, burns you out, or makes you sad. Purge it in a blog post. Turn it around at the end. Tell Tuesday why you’re ready for it.
-------

What gets me down today is personal. I am essentially a lazy person who has to be pushed to get something done. During my work years I managed to stay on top of things, hating to turn things in late, but now I find it hard to keep from couch-potatoeing all day long. Most of the time I don't particularly mind this about myself. I have put in the time, after all. I don't pretend to be anything other than who I am.

During this "enforced" imprisonment - recovering from knee surgery - I am unable to get around on my own because I am taking pain meds and am not sufficiently recovered to be able to drive easily. So I slog around even more so than usual, doing less and less, finding it hard just to do the little physical therapy exercises that I have taken the time to list in a chart. Admittedly, some of these activities involve some pain and I avoid them. But several of the others are uncomfortable at most and it is just laziness that keeps me from doing them. So I get down on myself. It does make me sad. All around me people are actually accomplishing things. I can't even get myself to finish sewing an apron I started a couple of weeks ago.

But I do have the ability to put things in perspective. Getting it down in writing is the first step, then coming up with little plans and taking one step at a time helps me to get past difficulties that make me sad.

In about a week I expect to be back out on my own, going for outpatient therapy and doing more outside of the house. Even though I may have to ask for rides to do it. Once I am getting out of the house I will feel more in control of my life and will actually get more done. This is my pattern. I should be able to get back to the gym as well, even if only for a few days a week at first. The imprisonment, then, is nearing its end and brighter lights shine ahead.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments: