Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Brand?

Today's challenge:


My personal brand. As a Health Activist, you are a front-facing leader. What do you imagine you look like to your readers? What qualities do you possess. It’s ok to toot your own horn today – you have full permission to indulge. And don’t hold back.
I am what they call a "patient expert" or something like that. It means I tell the world what it is like to be me with this particular health condition. I have arthritis and I have been writing about what it feels like, what has gone well and what has not, for me, over the past several years.

The primary quality I have is my honesty and my ability to convey what is true to me. I don't pretend to know what I don't, or to be able to do what I can't. I admit it when I try something and it does not work or when I do not give my all to an effort. I admit to my fundamental laziness. You can take to the bank what I say, for what that's worth. Because we all have such differing experiences with arthritis, of course, my experiences aren't really "bankable". But they can provide some insight into the condition and some treatments. I also offer as many details as I think make sense so that others can have a better idea how a particular activity will actually be.

Another quality I have is a realistic view of the world. I like evidence. I look for it and try to find it in my own experiences. It is not always easy to measure improvement so I try to find tools or to expand my observational skills so that I can see differences when they exist.

I believe I am less fearful than many. I have noticed that many people will not attempt some things that might make them better because they are afraid of possible pain or other consequence. I consider the possibilities - what are the chances, honestly, that this action will harm me? - and take action accordingly. In my writing I clearly advocate evidence-based action and facing of fear, for I believe that we have a great deal more power over our own pain and abilities than we may think. If there is one message I hope I convey through my writing it is this, that we have the power, we are not victims.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

No comments: