Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Facing pain

Most people use medications to control arthritis pain. The most common type of pain relief medication is the group of drugs called NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), including ibuprofen, aspirin, Celebrex, and a host of others. Unfortunately, all of these drugs have side effects ranging from stomach bleeding to heart effects. I have read that they also weaken the bones over the long term, but I do not have that evidence in front of me. It pays, in any case, to look at treatments that might strengthen the joints and improve health over the long term rather than just kill pain in the short term.

To that end, I have ordered a book on arthritis that promises dietary and exercise changes that can make a dramatic difference in "fifteen minutes a day". I have already read of dietary changes that might be worth looking at: getting rid of foods that cause or increase inflammation, for example. I am hoping that this book, called Arthritis RX, by Vijay Vad, will spell out a clear path for me that I can actually follow for the rest of my life.

No comments: