Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Adding to the routine

Yesterday I met with trainer Clara. I showed her the exercises given me by the physical therapist and asked if she might be able to come up with machines that I could use for some of them, when I am at the gym. She said yes, for two of the five. I told her about the pain in my right foot and how it feels and she suggested that we try some feet stretching exercises. And I asked if she could recommend a few things I can do in the pool when I am there. We then went upstairs to the weight room areas.

She showed me the leg extension and hip adduction machines, and I tried both of those. I then tried different ways to do both the calf stretches and the squats, because neither were working very well for me.  By the end of my trials and Clara's observations, I had an expanded routine (including minor changes I have added over time):

machines:
15 minutes on upright bike at level 10
5 minutes on treadmill - walk normally, focusing on feet, knees, posture. Could go longer if it weren't for my hip pain. I now have added 30 - 60 seconds of walking with my toes pointed up as part of the five minutes. This is one of the foot stretches.
1 set of 15 reps on row machine at 95 lbs
1 set of 15 reps on lat pulldown machine at 95 lbs
1 set of 20 reps on leg press at 180 lbs
2 sets of 10, increasing to 15, on hip abduction machine at 80 lbs
2 sets of 10, increasing to 15, on leg extension machine at 35 lbs, focusing on VMO

rubber band exercises:
compound row, red and green bands, 3 sets of 15
shoulder external rotation, red, 3 sets of 15
empty can, green, 3 sets of 15
lat pulldown, red, 3 sets of 15 - I often don't do this because it's hard to find a door or other place in the gym that I can use.

chest stretch, 30 sec each side
calf stretch, 30 sec each foot: changed to one foot behind the other
squats at rail - put feet toes right at the wall, hold on for support, dip, do not hold
stick stretch - I'm doing two stretches where my right arm helps stretch my left (the problem arm). Right now I am stretching three sets of fifteen seconds each
Foot - sit and point and flex for 30 - 60 seconds total each foot (also when foot pain flares up)

When I said this might take me to an hour total, Clara suggested alternatives: doing upper body one day, lower another, for four days total, or stay with three days and have the upper body the middle day. I did the whole thing today and it did not go a full hour. I think I will stay with three days a week doing it all.

In addition to the gym routine, I am doing the PT exercises every day, trying for twice a day (sometimes I just forget or am too tired for the second set). And of course I continue to do Aqua three days a week. I may exchange one of those days for swimming. I haven't decided yet. The PT exercises are:

quadriceps muscle set
short arc quad
hip and knee flexion
clamshell
bridge
All twice a day, most held for 10 seconds, total 10-15 times

When two months has passed from the PT appt I will have another PT appt. After that, I will get together with Clara again and we'll see if changes need to be made.

Lately I seem to be having less pain overall. Still hard to walk at time, hip pain at times, but less often. I am having more better times.

5 comments:

Ben Treating Arthritis said...

Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis and is considered as a degenerative joint disease. It is the result of trauma or infection of the joint, whereas rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, systemic inflammatory disorder that primarily attacks the joints resulting into synovitis that often leads to the destruction of the articular cartilage. If you’re suffering from arthritis, your physician most likely referred you to a physical therapist for treatment sessions. A significant increase in energy can help you go through your routine exercise program. In most cases, the mere anticipation of pain while beginning an exercise program can be quite daunting. Mangosteen supplements help provide the energy needed and also aids in the management of pain and anxiety. Thank you for sharing with us about arthritis.

Kind Regards,
Ben

EMR said...

Today arthritis is very common even among middle aged. After reading, I have decided to make some changes in my exercise routine. I will suggest even my friends to read this.

Lilly Watson said...

very good information on the blog, we really appreciate it ... we hope that people understand that we give priority to health care.

Anonymous said...

I'm subscribing to your blog. As a chiro, I help people with arthritis daily, and I'm committed to learning from people who've "been there done that."

Thanks!

Judith Lautner said...

I'm delighted to hear that, Andrea! It's one of the reasons I write about this.