Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Baby steps

Over the past few workouts I have made some minor changes to my routine. So now it is:


13 .5 minutes on upright bike at level 9
1 set of 15 reps on row machine at 80 lbs
1 set of 15 reps on lat pulldown machine at 80 lbs
1 set of 20 reps on leg press at 180 lbs
chest stretch, 30 sec each side
calf stretch, 30 sec each foot

rubber band exercises:
compound row, red & green bands, 3 sets of 15
shoulder external rotation, red, 3 sets of 15
empty can, green, 3 sets of 15
lat pulldown, red, 3 sets of 15 - I often don't do this because it's hard to find a door or other place in the gym that I can use.

squats on ball on wall - I put large ball in small of my back, put weight in heels, do squats - I'm doing five, sometimes six
squats at rail - weight in heels too, I'm doing five, carefully, sometimes two sets of five
stick stretch - I'm doing two stretches where my right arm helps stretch my left (the problem arm). Right now I am stretching three sets of ten seconds each
treadmill - walk normally, focusing on feet, knees, posture - I am up to 5.5 minutes. Could go longer if it weren't for my hip pain.

Lately I have been a little discouraged by the hip pain. It makes it hard to get around and I am disappointed in myself when my daughters visit - or I visit them - and I am unable to do the things they want to do. No hiking, no walking around malls, no strolling near the ocean.  I am considering making another appointment with a doctor to consider two things: possibly get corticosteroid injection in hip, if that's a reasonable pain relief alternative, and possibly referral to physical therapist.

No comments: