Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

That Restless Leg Thing

I have mentioned getting that "restless leg" feeling frequently, particularly in my "surgical leg". Lately I've been feeling it in both legs, sometimes more in the right than in the left. Today it's been bothering me almost nonstop since I got home from physical therapy at about two.

I occasionally take a look online.  To me, this kind of feeling is not a "medical condition" so much as a discomfort for which there should be some simple solution. I used to think it happened when I had not exercised enough, because stretching and moving around does relieve it. However, I am exercising plenty now and I can't, obviously, get any sleep if I am getting up and wandering around to relieve this symptom.

There does not seem to be a single cause for "restless leg syndrome". Sometimes it is caused by a lack of iron, so today I bought an iron supplement (even though I am no supplement fan). There are other drugs developed for this condition but I am not willing to go there yet. I can't help but think these are neurological drugs that, in the long run, will do more harm than good. Also, they don't specifically target this condition, which is why they don't work for everyone. I hate taking drugs that I may have to take all my life. I'd rather find a better solution to end the situation.

I would love to hear from others who might have found a good solution.

No comments: