Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Exercise and arthritis

The doctor reporting on this study concludes that some exercise, even a type that is not recommended, is better for arthritis sufferers than none at all.

I have a friend who has had arthritis for a long time. He moved his head stiffly or not at all when I worked with him and one time he told me that he had seen a doctor about this stiffness.

"It hurts when I bend my neck," he told the doctor.

"Then don't bend it," answered the doc.

Terry thought that was great. A simple solution. Simple it is, but unfortunately not really the best advice. Finding a gentle way to move it and doing it often is a better way. However, if Terry is fine with the way he is I am not one to quibble.

Today I went back to the pool, to put in 30 minutes. I got in all of 11 laps, with several short breaks. It felt good to be there and to be done, later. I still don't love swimming. I believe, though, that it is one of the best things I can do for my body.

No comments: