Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

More Pain

I had a hard time last night, limping around the house, because my right leg - from the thigh to the knee to the calf to the foot - hurt so much. I took a couple of tylenol arthritis capsules when I went to bed, but woke at about 1:00 am in such pain that I actually cried. I tried pushing my right knee into the bed (one of the twice-daily exercises), an exercise that was so painful I gave it up. I finally took two more capsules of tylenol arthritis and tried to sleep. I found some ways of placing my leg that helped ease the pain a little and finally dropped off to sleep again.

This morning that leg was much better. Still not back to "normal" but more manageable.

I don't like taking pain relievers because I feel they distort my experience with arthritis and skew how it feels (among other reasons). But last night I even looked hard at a bottle of acetaminophen with codeine, just for a moment. That stuff takes away pain, most of the time, but it does so by making me so nauseous and headachey that I usually cannot tolerate taking it. So it was last night. I left it on the shelf.

3 comments:

Jonny Newt said...

Hi Judith,
The night pain is what gets me. No matter how bad it is during the day, I feel I can deal with it through changes in activity levels and painkillers.
When I don't get the minimum amount of sleep I am not a nice person to be around and the whole family suffers.
I don't seem to have a strong correlation between activity during the day and pain at night which makes it even more annoying - you never know when you are going to suffer.

Judith Lautner said...

I'm with you, Jonny. It is really frustrating that I cannot find correlations between my activities and pain episodes, most of the time.

Cosmetic surgeon Atlanta said...

That is very sad when the arthritis and back pain comes back to the body after regular intervals.For me not many medicines work any more.I just have to stay with the pain.