Search This Blog

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Feeling good in New York

The real test for me, for the effectiveness of this arthritis program, is New York. And I'm there now.

I am petsitting my daughter and son-in-law's pets again. They have an apartment up two flights of steep, worn, marble stairs. I take the doggie on walks three times a day, down those stairs and up again. The last couple of times I did this I felt pain going down and pain going up, every time.

So far not this time. I am stiff and I don't move quickly but I am not feeling pain when I climb down or up the flights. This is only my third day at it but it's like night and day so far. I am able to enjoy my walks much more than previously because I am not trying to ignore knee or hip pain. I have had a bit of back discomfort, but not debiliating.

I have challenged myself, too. I went to Riverside Park the first day, then to Central Park the next, and up Amsterdam ten blocks, over one and back again today. I'm fine. I find myself plotting where we'll go next. I'm thinking of taking the subway, carrying the doggie in his bag, going somewhere, anywhere, just for the adventure. I might do that this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow.

So far so very good.

No comments: