Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Just Cut off the Legs, Please

Yesterday my therapist joked, "just leave the leg here and I'll fix it". If only. I keep trying to find a way to detach myself from the hard part of therapy, the pushing done by hand. It not only hurts because it is stretching those long-tight muscles in back, but also because I am still having trouble with some pain spots on either side of the knee.

Lately I am having more restless leg issues, both during the day and during the night. I have increased the dose and used up all but one of the Requip (Ropinirole) tablets already. I need to get back to the doc to get the prescription amped up. But yesterday I looked at askapatient.com as well as medline to find out more about patients' experiences with this drug. Over 300 people had reported on their experience with it on askapatient, and some of the reports were frightening: "I wish I had never started it." "I want to get off it but can't". "I am taking more all the time". Signs of addiction, in other words. Among other "side effects".

I know of no other alternatives. I tried many remedies before heading for the doctor, and none worked.  I used to think I'd have this nerve manifestation less often if I were more active but it seems to get me no matter how active I've been. I am going to try to get into the doctor's office today because it is open on weekends and even into the evenings. Unfortunately, their early fame to short waiting times and on-time appointments have mostly been thrown away by an increased patient load. I'll bring a book, of course.


No comments: